Whereas, it is the start of the year 2011,
Whereas, it is customary to make resolutions at the start of the new year,
Understanding, that I have intentions and wishes for the future,
Be it resolved that the following resolutions are made:
- I resolve to be better at speaking up for myself.
- I resolve to be more honest about how I feel and what I need, instead of trying to protect people from their own potential reactions to what I say.
- I resolve to have the needed discussions.
- I resolve to take better care of myself.
- I resolve to work on lessening my perfectionistic tendencies.
Every now and again, memories of Plenary pop up, and since it seems relevant now, I thought I’d indulge the urge to begin this in a rather Plenary resolution sort of style.
I’ve never really been a big New Year’s resolutions kind of person, but since so much in my life is changing right now (I’m still adjusting to not being in school, after 16 years of it), I thought it might be a fitting time to evaluate how I’m living my life. I’m always making plans about things I should start doing : what better time to put them in action than the start of a brand new year?
- I resolve to keep writing. I resolve to blog on a regular basis (at least once a week), if nothing else, to avoid getting rusty.
- I resolve to write a proper paper — something of substance, not mere fluff; something longer than a blog post; something backed by logic and research, not just a convenient method to get up on my soap box.
- I resolve to revisit and start reworking my thesis.
- I resolve to read an intellectually stimulating book every month, to continue to challenge myself.
- I resolve to start researching law schools and grad schools, the LSATs and GREs, as I explore what my next steps will be.
- I resolve to review the Korean I’ve learned and to return to the books from which I studied.
- I resolve to write something, a paragraph or two at least, every few months in Spanish.
- I resolve to learn how to play a song on my guitar.
And, just for fun, I think that 2011 will be the year that I finally get the tattoo I’ve been planning.